Looking for the perfect stocking stuffer for “rookie” parents, “third-time’s-the-charm” parents, or even “been-there-done-that” grandparents? You’re in luck! Gryphon House is counting down our favorite picks for parents. Whether you’re looking to spice up a holiday road trip, explore some exciting art activities, or bring out your baby’s “baby smarts,” we’ve got a book for that!
From exploring foods that begin with each letter to learning how to shape letters with their bodies, the activities in L Is for Lion let children explore the alphabet with all five senses.
Activity for the Letter “G”:
Gingerbread Man Shapes
What You Will Need:
- Cream cheese or frosting
- Dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and/or candy
- Gingerbread man (or woman) cookie cutter
What to Do:
- Use the cookie cutter to cut gingerbread man shapes out of slices of bread.
- Spread cream cheese onto the shapes and use dried fruit, sunflower seeds, or candies to decorate each gingerbread man.
- Enjoy the yummy gingerbread man shapes.
- As you eat the gingerbread man shapes, ask, What part of your gingerbread man do you eat first – the head, arm, or leg?
Note: Remember to wash your hands before beginning this project.
Matching Gingerbread Children
- Use a gingerbread boy (or girl) cookie cutter to cut out 12 identical brown paper gingerbread people. Add simple decorations to make six matching pairs. Use buttons, happy or sad faces, decorations at the wrists and ankles (zigzag lines, straight lines, or no lines) to make distinct pairs. Model how to find a matching pair and place them together. Then let your child find the matching pairs.
- Ask your child to tell a story about one of her gingerbread cookies. Ask, What is your cookie’s name? What does your cookie like to do? How is your cookie feeling?
For more fun ways to teach your child about letters, you can purchase your own copy of L Is for Lion on our website. And don’t forget to enter our 5 Days of Great Gryphon Giveaways on the Gryphon House Facebook fan page. Join us as we give away 5 books (as mentioned in our 12 Days of Great Gryphon Gifts for Moms and Dads blog series) to 5 lucky Facebook fans each day this week (Monday-Friday)! You still have 3 more chances to win!